Old 15-12-2003, 07:13 PM
Andy Hunt

Default Pots in the North

"martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 12:13:05 -0000, "Andy Hunt"
wrote:

says you.

Saus EC.

saus-age?

sauce?

Ces saucissons ici?

Nay lad it's a real black pudding.

I'll fetch my clogs..

Eh aye - there's trouble at t' mill, mister . . .

I live a short steam-train journey (East Lancashire Railway) away from a
village called Ramsbottom (from the Old English meaning "field of wild
garlic", believe it or not - at least according to the Bury MBC web site)
which hosts the annual World Black Pudding Throwing Championships. It used
to be in Stubbins, but the (only) pub in Stubbins, where the competition was
held, closed last year due to lack of trade (it was called the "Corner
Pin"). The object of the competition is to knock a Yorkshire pudding off a
platform high up the side of the building. The event attracts around 300
people every year, from all over the world.

I used to enjoy a nice black pudding - always get the ones with the
extra-large gristly bits, they fry up better - before I gave up eating meat.
There's a famous black pudding stall on "Bury's World Famous Market" as it
is modestly signposted throughout the town. Lovely with some fresh tomatoes,
sea salt, and a bit of hot English mustard for the pudding!

Alternatively, you can catch them yourself . . . a distant relative of the
haggis, I believe, but crossed with wild boar and bred in captivity by the
Romans. These days you mostly find them living by disused canals and old
cotton mills, but I wouldn't eat the wild ones. They're a bit tough. They
all carry flick-knives.

Andrew