Old 16-12-2003, 02:12 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Can a red maple bonsai be kept indoors?

Hi,
Ordered a red maple bonsai and had no
idea it was for outdoors.

Offices are deadly places, even for *indoor* plants, because the air tends to be very dry, and few offices have enough sun. So I would discourage you from having any kind of bonsai in the office, except for a really tough fig. I once worked in a nightmar
ish office complex, and I had a willowleaf fig that flourished (I didn't).

I knew someone who kept maples indoors in winter. He sealed off a room in his house and kept that room unheated. He took all the curtains down. His maples, of course, lost their leaves and went dormant (you should know that maples need to go dormant, ev
en indoors). I was impressed with his success, but it was a pretty cheerless room, a bit like a prison cell.

Nina, who has 3 species of fig and a natal plum living in her sunny office right now.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++