Old 17-12-2003, 01:02 AM
Kenni Judd

Default Mealy bug control

There are protocols about releasing ladybugs to increase their
effectiveness. I don't purport to remember them -- something about doing it
in the evening when they're sleeping, I think.

When we have a serious scale or mealie infestation, we try for a 2-prong
approach: a quick contact kill to get rid of as many as possible [alcohol
on the foliage, repotting as needed/possible], followed up _promptly_ by a
systemic such as Orthene or Liquid Sevin. It is important to rotate the
systemics -- not by alternating at each spraying, but if you have to spray
more than 2-3 times, then switch to a different one after the 3d time. It
is also important to spray AT [not above, not below] the recommended dosage.
A more concentrated spray may harm plants unnecessarily; a more dilute
spray may get rid of _most_ of the pests, but the survivors are likely to
breed resistant offspring ...

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

"Cecil Kimber" wrote in message
When the Phals start blooming the Mealies start breeding. I'd like to get

jump on it this year. Has anyone had success with biological controls?

I'm
considering releasing some Cryptolaemus montrouzieri into the greenhouse.
These are the commonly named Australian Ladybug. Supposedly both the

adults
and larvae are predacious. They are supposedly useful in controlling

citrus
and longtail mealies outdoors. Anyone tried them in a greenhouse? Merry
Ho, Ho!