Old 17-12-2003, 06:35 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] Red Maple in Wisconsin, PS

wrote:

Regarding keeping your maple in the garage for the winter: Different
varieties of Acer palmatum vary in cold-hardiness and disease resistance. You should
find out the exact name of yours. Where did you get it? Are you sure you don't
have American red maple? Was it purchased as a bonsai starter?
Iris

Although I don't know the specifics of the climate in Wisconsin, other than it is
colder than it is here, I'm dubious that either any Japanese maple or American
red/swamp maple (Acer rubrum) would make it into the spring after being indoors. It
seems to me that keeping a tree in a warm but relatively dark environment would force
the tree to try to grow without having the light it would need to photosyntheisize.
Just my thoughts.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37