Old 17-12-2003, 08:09 PM
Lynn Boyd

Default [IBC] "The Spirit of Bonsai design: Combine the Power of Zen and nature" (redux)

Hi Peter,
Re yours to Chris,

Chris:
I was away for most of this thread and missed all, but your last note.
Consequently I would rather not enter the discussion in detail.

Hi Peter:
While we hope to hear from Chris I am tempted to say re your msg:

However,
since I can't keep my mouth shut, - an old problem of mine, -

That problem is not yours alone - mind if I share??

let me just
add that the experiences and readings of this last year reinforced my
belief that Buddhism greatly influenced and interacted with Japanese
stone appreciation and suiseki, while had only general, and arguably
minimal,
influence on the aesthetic of bonsai.
Cheers.
Peter Aradi

Peter, I really like the separation you make between an
aesthetic of bonsai and an interaction with the stone, suiseki
appreciation. I think Chris does this, too. I can see that a great deal of
difference exists between these two forms of concentration and interest in
the past possibly.
I don't know how you arrived at this, but I am guessing that
bonsai 's evolving from the planted-plant experience from past ages came
from a more pragmatic and less metaphoric basis, while stones have been
found in the past to have a much more symbolic and/or imaginative or
transcending place in man's interest.
I hope you are finding some direction that is re-newing to your
search.
Lynn

Lynn Boyd
Zone 7-8, Willamette Valley, Oregon