Old 18-12-2003, 01:08 AM
George Cleveland

Default "Left wing kookiness"

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:28:28 -0500, Tom Quackenbush
wrote:

Jonathan Ball wrote:
snip
Tom Quackenbush wrote:

OK, I have to confess ignorance here - I'm not very familiar with
J.S. Mill. When did he write that & did he mean "conservative" in the
same political sense that it's used today?

John Stuart Mill, 1806-1873, was one of the most
important English philosophers and political thinkers
of his age. He is noted as one of the leading
proponents of utilitarianism.

snip
Thank you. I think I need to read up on Mr. Mill.

R,
Tom Q.

Here's his introduction to "On Liberty".

http://www.bartleby.com/130/1.html

You'll note he doesn't state an opposition to governmental control of
peoples actions only an opposition to acts that don't spring from
"self-protection". He really was a fairly modern liberal.

Here is a synopsis of his life and work.

http://www.utilitarianism.com/jsmill.htm

Here you will note he is a strong proponent of environmental protection,
population control and women's rights.

If anything he demonstrates the basic meaninglessness of labels like
"conservative" or "liberal" when applied to an independent thinker.

g.c.