Old 18-12-2003, 04:35 AM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Harry Lauder,s walki9ng stick

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 23:35:53 +0000, Kay Easton wrote:

In article , Franz Heymann notfranz.
writes
Would I ruin a Corylus avellana "Contorta" if I prune it so hard that it has
effectively been coppiced some time between now and just after New Year's
Day?

Seems a pity, to coppice it just before the only time of year when it

looks good.

I'd be worried that when it re-grew it would only produce straight
sticks. Mine seems very keen on throwing up straight stems from the
bottom.

You can root hazels if you are lucky, and it's worth trying so
you get an HLWS on its own roots, hence less prone to throwing
straight suckers.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada