Old 18-12-2003, 06:02 AM
Steve Wolfe

Default Snow and Ice Salt

Does anyone know of a brand or type of salt to use in snow/ice areas of
the
country?
The regular salt for melting ice washes off when the ice melts and runs

into
some of our
ornamental shrubs and perennials. This always results in plants nearest

the runoff dying by spring. Any suggestions are appreciated.

What kind of salt do you use? Typically, ice-melting salt here is
magnesium chloride, and I've never heard of anyone having problems with
plants. I'm lazy, and don't particularly like to chip away ice, so I throw
it down like I couldn't get rid of it fast enough, and have never had a
problem with any of the grass or other plants.

steve