Old 18-12-2003, 08:34 AM
Kye

Default Tips on blooming Dockrilila wassellii

I grow mine under 70% shade outdoors and the blasted thing flowers itself to
death. (VERY VERY Bright )

Kye.

Subject: Tips on blooming Dockrilila wassellii
From: "Eric Hunt"
Date: Thu, Nov 27, 2003 2:08 AM
Does anyone have tips on how get Dockrillia wassellii to bloom? I'm

growing
mine under lights, and it gets misted heavily twice a day and has a fan

set
to low on the other side of the kitchen (5' away) blowing obliquely onto

the
growing shelf.

I get tons of root growth, nice new finger-shaped leaves that are almost

as
large as the leaves it grew while living in a greenhouse, plump leaves -

no
dessication, light green colored, but no blooms. I've had it this way now
for about 18 months.

The grower I purchased it from couldn't get any of his to bloom, either,

so
I realize it might not be the most easy to bloom species, but I figured
someone would have a comment or tip.

Thanks.

-Eric in SF

As you mention, this Australian species is easy to grow, but unless it has
ample sunshine it will not flower.
I grow mine in a cool room of the greenhouse, with a min night temp of

46F. It
is mounted and watered every day, and fed once a week with a low ration N
formula at 100ppmN/gal. I use no shade on my greenhouse, but it is on the

north
side of my home and receives little or no direct sun during Nov, Dec, and

Jan.
I am also in New England, notorious for dark, cloudy days in winter. Fall,

and
winter are the seasons when this plant must have sunshine if it will

flower. In
years with a lot of dark days, I get few or no flowers; with bright sunny

days
my plant blooms quite well.
Unless you are using supplemental high output lights, I would doubt you

will
flower this species in a window.

Wilford Neptune