Old 18-12-2003, 11:33 AM
Sue da Nimm

Default Harry Lauder,s walki9ng stick

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:38:45 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

Would I ruin a Corylus avellana "Contorta" if I prune it so hard that

it
has
effectively been coppiced some time between now and just after New

Year's
Day?

Why?
Be careful if you do. I gather they are grafted and you could
encourage lots of straight ordinary hazel rather than more
contortions.
Yes I think you would ruin it.

FWIW when we moved here someone had cut out all the twisted branches from
our Hazel, thinking it was diseased! I cut all the straight growth out,
leaving just a stump. After three years it is now about 8ft tall with a good
spread of bizarre contorted branches. I lop the odd straight branches as
they appear.

We also have a twisted willow which is a constant source of worry. It
produces masses of leaves and new twigs every spring - which nearly all die
back come June. It then puts on new growth again in a hap-hazard fashion
until fall. I have carefully removed several dead branches - everything else
seems healthy, but.....