Old 18-12-2003, 04:32 PM
Rob Halgren

Default what is specimen size

TRAINMAN9 wrote:

I have been wondering for a while already about the usage of "specimen size"
to describe an orchid plant.

I remember a photo in an old AOS bulletin of a just awarded Miltonia hybrid
that had over 500 flowers and I think was in a 24 inch pot. It weighed over 100
pounds. I'd call that a specimen.

I think there are specific rules for awarding well grown plants. It used to be
a CCM or Certificate of Cultural Merit. I don't know the specifics but I'm sure
someone who is either a judge or student judge could provide the information.

I don't think there is a formal definition of 'specimen sized'
plants. In general, it is easier to determine for plants we know. A
specimen size phal might be small or large in leaf size, depending on
its parentage, but would likely to be judged by the number of
inflorescences and flowers. A standard white phal with 3 or 4 good
inflorescences is probably a specimen plant. We are frequently
confronted with plants which we know nothing about which we think _may
be_ specimen size. For example a Masdevallia species with 20 flowers.
Is this a specimen worthy of a CCM? Maybe... Maybe that species is a
weed and blooms like that regardless of where you put it or who grows
it. That is certainly a horticulturally desirable plant, but _not_ a
specimen quality plant. Perhaps you might need 200 flowers to get to
specimen quality.

The CCM, certificate of cultural merit, or CCE (cultural excellence-
a better award) is not given to the plant itself, actually, but to the
grower. I don't have my handbook with me, but I think it says something
about exceptionally well grown and well bloomed cultivars. We score
based on floriferousness, condition of the plant itself (leaves and
pseudobulbs), and the condition of the bloom (all flowers open
simultaneously with no damage - that is good). A CCM scores 80-89 pts
and a CCE 90-100 (out of 100). You may also receive a CCM/CCE on a
plant that has a previous award of any type, even another CCM. It is
what the plant is doing at the time that is important. Individual
flower quality is not particularly important, although consistency is
critical, and a pleasing flower doesn't hurt. Sometimes we give CCMs
and quality awards at the same judging (CCM/AOS, AM/AOS). Then the
exhibitor gets to pay twice!!! *grin*

Importantly, the award recognizes the skill of the grower. So, a
CCE vanda in upstate Michigan might be substantially smaller than a CCE
vanda in Miami. That isn't the point. It is the overall
'impressiveness" of the plant and blooming. If it is impossible to grow
in our area, and somebody has done an excellent job regardless, then
they are often rewarded for their skill. The 'Best of Show' plant often
receives a CCM. Sometimes little tiny pleurothallids receive CCMs -
they aren't big, but they can be hard to grow and a well grown one is
impressive. So, it is a function of a) what the plant type usually
does, b) what the particular plant is doing when it is exhibited, and c)
overall 'WOW' factor. I would say that the CCM and CCE awards are
among the hardest to learn for the student judge. You need to look at a
heck of a lot of plants before you can give a well informed opinion
about this kind of award. What looks amazing to a novice might just be
ho-hum to somebody who has seen a few hundred.

You can safely call your phal a specimen if you want, if it has
bloomed well for several consecutive years. Nobody will laugh at you.
They might snicker a bit if the leaves are nicked up, or you have insect
damage, or other cosmetic defects. They might snicker even more if it
only has 4 flowers on one inflorescence. But if you are proud of it and
think it is growing well, then it is a specimen. Don't let other
people disrupt your enjoyment of the plant, if you like it. People
worry too much about what other idiots think. Happy people form their
own opinions.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit