Old 18-12-2003, 09:03 PM
Dianna Visek

Default Tarragon (was Drying Parsley)

My understanding is that French tarragon can be propagated from
cuttings.

Regards, Dianna

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 00:32:50 GMT, "Graham" wrote:

Russian tarragon is often available because it is grown from seed and is
tasteless. I have found that nurseries don't know the difference and sell
the Russian as the real thing and most of them buy the seedlings from
wholesalers anyway. Even seed companies sell the seeds as a culinary herb.
OTOH French tarragon can only be propagated from splitting rootstock, which
is best done in spring. I would imagine that growing conditions might
contribute to flavour variations as well as different cultivars. Mine is
quite strong. Ahhh, the smell in the kitchen of tarragon chicken
cooking........

Graham

To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.