Old 19-12-2003, 12:33 AM
Al

Default what is specimen size

I needed to find something that would not decay or go toxic from absorbing
salts or stuff so that i would not have to repot it. It is in a wire basket
lined with a thin pad of coconut husk fiber. The rest is filled with
packing/Styrofoam peanuts. It is a very light weight 16 inch basket. It
has been growing undisturbed for about 11 years. I do pinch kiekies off of
it on a regular basis...

"Kye" wrote in message
Al,

What media was that potted in???

Kye.

"Al" wrote in message
I have seen a picture of a Phal equestris and her kiekies taking over

the
side of a house in the Philippines. The plant in this picture makes my
plant look like a seedling.

here is a link to the picture mentioned by J Fortuna, of the equestris
hanging in my greenhouse for people in this newsgroup who don't get

apbo.
do call it the "mother of all equestris" (because it is made from one

plant
and many of her kiekies pinned back onto the basket over the years )

and
would proudly admit it is 'specimen size' but truly it is not as big as

they
can get, and this plant, in a 16 inch basket, has developed a bad case

of
rabbit's foot fern in the last few years. It is also very true that one
could make a case that this is not a specimen at all but lots of plants

in
single basket, albeit all from one original plant. After all these

years
many of the inflorescences that once connected them have died off

leaving
the rooted kiekies to make more babies of their own. For CCM

consideration,
this is a no-no, isn't it?
http://www.orchidexchange.com/Photos/equestri.htm

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
I know that there are some plants about which there is no doubt that

they
are specimen size (for example: Al's Equestris Mom, the picture of

which
Al
posted on abpo a while ago).