Old 19-12-2003, 03:32 AM
Dave

Default How much flourite for 55G tank?

From Seachem's website:

FlouriteT is a specially fracted stable porous clay gravel for the natural
planted aquarium. Although it may be mixed with other gravels, FlouriteT is
best used as an integral substrate bed. Any mixture should be at least half
FlouriteT. Gravel modifiers such as laterite are not necessary. FlouriteT is
not chemically coated or treated, and will not alter the pH of the water.
Although pre-washed, it should be rinsed before use to remove residual dust.
Slight initial cloudiness is normal and will clear rapidly. Each 7 kg (15.4
lbs) bag is sufficient for about a 2 inch deep bed in a typical 10 gallon
tank. Recommended use is 1 kg for about each 200 cm2 (31 in2) of tank
bottom.

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
I'm assuming fluorite is still considered one of the best (except for

price)
substrates to u a planted tank, so I'm hoping to pick some up for my
new 55G tank right after christmas (when it should hopefully be on sale).
However, I'm not sure how much. I'm probably gonna be picking up the
fluorite before I get my hands on the tank, so I'm wondering what depth of
substrate would look good in a 55G (48*12*21 tall) and also what would be
good for the plants. Btw, I will be using substrate heating cables, in

case
this affect the decision on depth.

Thanks,
Harry