Old 19-12-2003, 05:32 AM
solo_voyager

Default Tips on blooming Dockrilila wassellii

Hi Kye:
Over the last couple of years I've posted questions inquiring about
how to get the Dockrillias pugioniforme, teretifolium and wassellii to
bloom on several orchid forums, even this one. I get great foliage
growth, but alas, no flowers now for up to 5 years for these plants.

Every Aussie that has given an answer to my questions always tells
about how beautifully they bloom outdoors as wild and cultivated
plants in the area where they live. AAARRRRGGGHHH!!! I have such
trouble with blooming them that I've become almost obsessed with 'em.

Proving that I lack common sense, I just added a gift cutting from a
D. striolatum (as were the pugioniforme and wassellii) to my
collection yesterday. One more to probably pull hair out over. Will I
never learn?

I have extraordinarily good results with growing and blooming Dend.'s
from high altitude monsoonal climates in-home. All the cultural advice
I can find on these Dockrillias tells me that they should fit
somewhere into the range of conditions that I provide for the
successful blooming of these Den.'s. I've become convinced that the
short winter day length and usual winter cloud cover where I live are
the cause of my problem. Although, I'm trying a complete elimination
of feeding them this winter. I normally feed everything with a low
nitrogen fertilizer the year around. This winter they're on a diet.
Without the light though, I don't hold much hope.

"Kye" wrote in message ...
I grow mine under 70% shade outdoors and the blasted thing flowers itself to
death. (VERY VERY Bright )

Kye.