View Single Post
  #9   Report Post  
Old 19-12-2003, 02:14 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Shimpaku history - huge article

This is a valid, interesting and important topic, but I'd be interested to
see this discussion enter the realm of fact and historical context rather
than the micro-tempus context one usually encounters.

Not that I have any idea what a micro-tempus is.

Human beings are, unfortunately, animals that have to see something, hold it in their hand, before they understand it. I once rescued a box turtle with vitamin deficiencies from a pet store and nursed it back to health. I had never "known" a turtle before
, and I was impressed by the nobility and good temper, as well as the beauty of this critter. What I learned from owning this turtle, which in its native habitat has a territory the size of a football field, is that people should protect the habitat of th
e box turtle and let it live wild, rather than keeping them as pets. Of course, I had to keep one as a pet to learn this.

It's a common story: duck hunters are often the most ardent protectors of wetlands. I'd like to think that bonsaija are people who would most want to protect cliffside habitats, some of which are the oldest old-growth habitat in their regions. I've colle
cted a few trees from the wild (as opposed to the side of the road, or old fields) and I've decided to stick to the side of the road, or old fields. So I guess I support a person's right to hold something in his hand, and then decide what's right.

Nina Shishkoff

************************************************** ******************************
++++Sponsored, in part, by Jarbas Godoy ++++
************************************************** ******************************
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++