Old 19-12-2003, 03:35 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Growing Avocados in a Kitchen in Dublin.

The message . 11
from Victoria Clare contains these words:
"Peter Nolan" wrote in
:

Hello,

A friend of mine is trying to grow an Avocado plant from the seed in
her kitchen here in Dublin at the moment and is not sure how to
proceed but just hoping that she may be on the right track.
Can you give me any advice about this and if you can I would greatly
appreciate it?

Patience, damp and warmth is really all that is needed. I find they tend
to germinate in my compost heap, so that's the kind of environment you are
looking for. Once germinated, don't stick it in a cold draught while still
young, but that's about it.

If I were trying to germinate one, (rather than doing it by accident) I'd
water the pot well, enclose it in a plastic bag, and bung it in the airing
cupboard.

Nah. Put some peat in a pot. Stand the pip, stone, seed, whatever on it
and build up about half an inch round the sides.

Keep very well watered and warm, but I wouldn't cover it as mould may
well get it before it starts.

There'll be no stopping it.

It isn't a very attractive tree: it grows straight up and has
leaf-shaped leaves (if you know what I mean) and unless you put it in a
very tall heated conservatory it will never fruit.

I've got one on a windowsill ATM, and I've never stopped asking myself why.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)