Old 19-12-2003, 04:25 PM
Philip

Default Growing Avocados in a Kitchen in Dublin.

"Peter Nolan" wrote in message ...
Hello,

A friend of mine is trying to grow an Avocado plant from the seed in her
kitchen here in Dublin at the moment and is not sure how to proceed but just
hoping that she may be on the right track.
Can you give me any advice about this and if you can I would greatly
appreciate it?
I did a little research in Google but so far didn't find a whole lot.

Peter Nolan Ph.D.
Dublin,

I tried it the 'official' way last summer and gave up when the whole
thing went mouldy.
This is what I tried .. make a bed of kitchen paper, put the Advocado
stone on the paper side ways and keep the paper damp, once the thing
starts to root, pot it on.

I have had 3 root using an alternative method which I will describe.
Chuck the stone in the kitchen compost bin. When full (normally
daily) move to larger bin outside back door. When full (every 2-3
weeks) put on wellies and empty into green dustbin down by compost
heap. When big bin is full, dig large hole in compost and empty the
putrefying, fly ridden mess into hole and cover, retreat quickly.
Some time later - sorry cannot be very accurate but months rather than
weeks - dig out some compost intended for a deserving plant, be
surpised to discover a rooted Advocado stone in there. Pot it up and
make out like you nurtured it carefully.

Things to be wary of - its easy to damage your advocado plantlet as
you extract it.

An alternate would be to get a plastic bag, fill with compost, add
Advocado stone, seal up and place somewhere warm. Monitor frequently
and when sprouting starts pot out. Probably safer that my compost
heap method.

Phil