Old 19-12-2003, 11:29 PM
Mary Fisher

Default Growing Avocados in a Kitchen in Dublin.

It isn't a very attractive tree: it grows straight up and has
leaf-shaped leaves (if you know what I mean) and unless you put it in a
very tall heated conservatory it will never fruit.

I've got one on a windowsill ATM, and I've never stopped asking myself

why.

I once had an avocado ranch but gave them to a daughter who killed them.

I only have one now and in the summer I put it outside to enjoy itself. I'm
like that, generous to a fault.

Its leaves went brown and dry so I sadly assumed (no I DIDN'T hope - well
not all that much, well, OK a little bit, might have been a lot) that if it
hadn't already it would pass away while I wasn't looking in the autumn.

We're in Leeds, Yorkshire. It's thriving. I pretend not to see it so that I
don't feel guilty about leaving it outside during these horribly frosty
nights we've had lately (- 5C on my max/min thermometer) but it just blows
raspberries at me.

Its leaves are beautiful, bright green, I've never seen anything so healthy.

Not that I look ...

Bloody thing. Why can't it just die gracefully.

I must ask daughter what she did ...

Mary

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)