Old 20-12-2003, 10:32 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Storing chillies

The message
from Frogleg contains these words:

Scotch Bonnet or habanero is a completely different critter than
jalapeno. Habanero is a small, (1-1.5") sort of apple-shaped (or
something like a mini-bell or sweet) pepper that ripens quickly from
green through yellow and orange stages. It is usually sold in US
markets in the orange phase. It is, if not the hottest, one of the
most potent chiles in the world.

Yes - I've got about seven pounds of those in my freezer. Should last me out.

Wear rubber gloves and googles while preparing them.......

A jalapeno is a 2-3" smooth, tapered
green chile that ripens to a deep red. It is moderate on the Scoville
scale of 'hotness' (amount of capsaicin). There are many
semi-consistent versions of relative chile potency available with a
search on "Scoville scale".

Maybe. These, grown from seed taken out of commercially grown and
supplied by the ton jalapinos, are not what I would like to encounter in
a salad on a dark night.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)