Old 20-12-2003, 10:33 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Herbs for the beginner

The message
from (Neil) contains these words:

I am thinking of growing herbs for use in the kitchen.

I am a gardening novice and would appreciate any thoughts / advice on
which would grow well either in or outdoors. I live in N Cheshire on a
heavy clay soil with a "modern" ie smallish garden. Reasonably
sheltered though winds can be strong at times. Space might best be
described as negotiable!

Any thoughts??

Tell your wife.........

Most herbs like a sunny position as many of them originate in the
Mediterranean.

Rosemary makes a fine hedge plant, and sage is easy.

I'd grow dill, but I like pickling cucumbers - though it's good with
fish as well.

And lovage. A few leaves in a stew or casserole imparts a strong celery
flavour.

Golden marjoram is easy, and soon forms a decorative dense clump.

Mints are easy too, though I have heard complaints from one regular here
that they can't keep it alive....

IMO the best place for the smaller herbs like thyme is in pots. Basil
grows well in pots too.

Seeds can be bought for most of these herbs, but I cheat with the thymes
and buy small pots of them.

--
Rusty Hinge

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)