Old 20-12-2003, 11:04 PM
PK

Default Growing Avocados in a Kitchen in Dublin.

Frogleg wrote:
When the
shoot emerges (it can take several weeks), it will be a straight stick
with a few leaves at the top. Recommended treatment is to prune this
stick to about 5" (and no leaves!) to force it to branch. I never
prune them severely enough.

Be aware that however much fun it is to grow your own avocado plant,
these are actually sub-tropical trees, not houseplants. I have managed
to keep some alive for a year or 2, but they're not particularly
attractive, nor is there much hope of fruit without outdoor planting
in a suitable climate.

Perhaps a miniature citrus might be more rewarding?

I beg to disagree!

If you sprout enough stones eventually, you will get on that sends out
multiple shoots rather than one. Guard it with your life as it will have a
multistem shrubby growth form instead of wanting to reach for the sky ever
tree like.

Mine is around 10years old now. Lives inside from October to may in a sunny
kitchen/ day room and outside on the pation for the summer.

Its about 1m30 tall and wide in a 18" bell pot and is a georgeous triple
stemmed shrub. Its been hacked back a few times but happily comes back ever
stronger.

No chance of fruit but as a feature plant in and out side it is fine indeed.

pk