Old 20-12-2003, 11:42 PM
Bolero

Default what is specimen size

The definition of what constitutes a specimen orchid can vary, I have a list
that we use for judging as a minimum specification for each genera to be a
specimen orchid. I won't type it all here but I can give the following
examples:

Australian Native Orchid - 12 inflorescences

Cattleya Species - 4 racemes and at least 2 flowers per raceme

Cattleya Cluster - 4 racemes and at least 8 flowers are required on each
raceme.

Lycaste Species - 10 flowers per plant
Lycaste Hybrid - 7 flowers per plant

Phalaenopsis - 4 racemes for both species and hybrid, the majority of the
flowers on the recemes should be open and the raceme should not have less
than 7 flowers except where this is not consistent with the usual habit of
the particular species or hybrid being exhibited, secondary branching is not
detrimental.

The list goes on and on but this gives you a good idea of what kind of size
you are looking for. There are also other variations on the cattleya plants
as well.

Let me know if you have any questions about any other specific genera.

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
I have been wondering for a while already about the usage of "specimen

size"
to describe an orchid plant.

Is this merely a subjective description like "really impressive size" or

are
there any rules of what would be considered specimen size and what would
not? Would this be something for which orchid judges at shows have

criteria?
Or is this just a term used informally?

I know that there are some plants about which there is no doubt that they
are specimen size (for example: Al's Equestris Mom, the picture of which

Al
posted on abpo a while ago). And then we can safely say for some plants

that
they are not specimen size, for example nobody would call a white Phal
hybrid with a leave-span of 8inches specimen sized. But then there are
plants for which it is less obvious.

I would assume that any criteria would have to vary by orchid type, of
course. Being primarily a Phal person myself, I am interested in any ideas
of how to tell when a white Phal hybrid for example has reached specimen
size. If there are no "objective" criteria, when could one dare start
calling a Phal specimen sized without being ridiculed by other orchid
growers?

Thanks,
Joanna