Old 21-12-2003, 12:14 AM
Sacha

Default Herbs for the beginner

Neil20/12/03 9:01
I am thinking of growing herbs for use in the kitchen.

I am a gardening novice and would appreciate any thoughts / advice on
which would grow well either in or outdoors. I live in N Cheshire on a
heavy clay soil with a "modern" ie smallish garden. Reasonably
sheltered though winds can be strong at times. Space might best be
described as negotiable!

Any thoughts??

It helps to think of their origins and many are Mediterranean. Sharp
drainage, hot, baking summer earth.
Most herbs require very good drainage i.e. no water settling and staying
round their roots. They also need a lot of sun. If your soil isn't
suitable for this, I'd suggest you plant them in pots or an old sink -
something of that sort. Make sure the containers are raised off the ground
a little to let water drain away and place them in the sunniest part of your
garden. Mint, it should be said, will probably take over half of N Cheshire
and be checked only by meeting plants coming from the south. ;-)
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)