Old 21-12-2003, 12:32 AM
John Savage

Default Lemon Cultivation

Chookie writes:
Anyone have any idea about whether I should clear the grass from under my
lemon tree and use some other mulch?

The lemon is VERY shallow rooted, and you will find that the fine mesh of
the lemon's rootlets are right in the thick of the grass roots. This means
that they compete for water and nutrients, the former especially important
during this hot weather and dictating how long the tree can last between
waterings before it folds its leaves or drops fruit.

If you do decide to keep the area grass free, I'd pull the grass out
rather than dig it out, loosening it using a small weeding fork trowel
rather than anything as destructive as a spade. Thick mulch will keep
the weeds down, but kikyu will always manage to creep under.