Old 21-12-2003, 12:33 AM
bnd777

Default Growing cherries

"Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson" wrote in
message ...
I apologise if this comes up twice but I sent a mail and it seems to
have disappeared.

I am thinking of planting a cherry tree but wondered whether any
cherries are so likely to be stripped by birds that there is little
point.

I also wondered about rootstocks. A recent article in 'The Kitchen
Garden recommends new rootstocks, Gisela 5 and Tabel, rather than the
older rootstock, Colt. Space isn't too much of a problem and I'm not
sure whether their advice is only relevant if size is crucial. As far as
varieties are concerned they recommend Celeste, Cherokee, Summer Sun,
Sunburst and Sweetheart as well as the more traditional Stella.

I would be very grateful for any experiences anyone has had with growing
any of these varieties or any other cherries.

Janet G, S. Lincs

We had 2 cherry trees and never got one cherry even if we netted bunches or
branches because before the cherries were even ripe the blackbirds would
swipe the lot even untying the netting knots !!!!!!

Unless you can grow cordons or stepovers in a proper fruit cage forget it

Also our large cherry tree sent out roots 30 ft away and destroyed the lawn
in the process