Old 21-12-2003, 06:02 AM
JimS.

Default Should I give in to the Dark Side?

"Mark. Gooley" wrote in message
Jackson and Perkins is (are, if you're a Brit) now offering
some roses on their own roots, including some Austin roses
one can get from no other source in the US (well, they claim
that they are J & P Exclusives, and I assume that that's what
that means). The own-roots also include the grotesquely
colored "Disneyland" floribunda, which from the pictures
strikes me as so ugly that I have to have it, in order to put
next to Tropicana and other such freaks.

On the flip side, J&P tends to introduce roses and then
dump them; they don't offer a very wide selection, and
there are a dozen smaller growers more worthy of getting
my business.

What would you do?

It's pretty fashionable to dump on J&P by the supposedly in-the-know set.
(tongue in cheek). And undoubtably there are suppliers that are
better....but I will be the first to admit I buy J&P roses. And I buy them
from COSTCO even (*shudder*). And I'll tell you what else-- I've never got
a crappy one. They always grow well and crank out the blooms. I've bought
'em before and I'd buy them again.

No reason to anguish about it. Buy J&P ones if you see one you like,
doesn't mean you can't buy them from anyone else too.

JimS.
Seattle