Old 21-12-2003, 08:36 AM
Zizz

Default Herbs for the beginner

"Neil" wrote in message
I am thinking of growing herbs for use in the kitchen.

I am a gardening novice and would appreciate any thoughts / advice on
which would grow well either in or outdoors. I live in N Cheshire on a
heavy clay soil with a "modern" ie smallish garden. Reasonably
sheltered though winds can be strong at times. Space might best be
described as negotiable!

Any thoughts??

Thanks

Neil

Pots!
Don't give up if it dies on you!
Some herbs are good on windowsills (Basil, coriander)
It's probably a bit late to buy/start now unless you're going for
indoor/windowsill ones but all of what's alreay been suggested.
Plus chives, taragon, garlic, chamomile, sage maybe even lavender.
Whilst the nights have drawn in and it's chilly outside, treat yourself to a
good book about herbs and their uses. It's not only culinary that they're
mostly good for, their scents are rather good as well.