Old 21-12-2003, 10:12 AM
Stuart Wright

Default monkey puzzle probelm

The message
from "woodco" contains these words:

I bought a monkey puzzle tree around a foot high and planted it in a very
large tub in my garden in the north of scotland, I have seen other mature
trees around my area so know that they will grow.

It seemed to be ok and looked like new growth was slowly happening but just
lately i have noticed that the ends of a few of the fronds ( sic ) have gone
brown for about an inch or two and look like they are rotting, if i touch
them the brown spiky leaves come off in my hand.

Could I have overwatered or should so young a tree be indoors in our winter
?

TIA
Bob

Bob,

I live in the NE of Scotland have around 15 around a foot height and had
the same problem. Whilst hardy, they do require some protection from
cold winds in their early years and do not like their roots in very wet
soil. I have mine in fairly freeing draining soil, so all I did was
relocated the pots to a semi-sheltered spot. We lost the brown fronds,
but new growth started to appear the following year. However, we did
lose a couple I'm sorry to say.

--
Stuart Wright
Artloch Fishery - Huntly