Old 21-12-2003, 12:12 PM
Frogleg

Default Herbs for the beginner

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:52:20 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Neil20/12/03 9:01
I am thinking of growing herbs for use in the kitchen.

I am a gardening novice and would appreciate any thoughts / advice on
which would grow well either in or outdoors. I live in N Cheshire on a
heavy clay soil with a "modern" ie smallish garden. Reasonably
sheltered though winds can be strong at times. Space might best be
described as negotiable!

It helps to think of their origins and many are Mediterranean. Sharp
drainage, hot, baking summer earth.
Most herbs require very good drainage i.e. no water settling and staying
round their roots. They also need a lot of sun.

Sun, sun, sun. Be aware of which herbs are perennial (rosemary, sage,
thyme, oregano), annual (basil, dill), or biennial (parsley). Most can
be successfully grown in pots -- the bigger the better, usually.
snip
Mint, it should be said, will probably take over half of N Cheshire
and be checked only by meeting plants coming from the south. ;-)

Indeed. Another perennial with a terrific 'spreading' habit. It took
me forever to start one plant, but once I did, it spread everywhere
and invited its cousins in. Mint and lemon balm now fight it out in my
back lawn. Very fragrant to walk over, however.