Old 21-12-2003, 02:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Herbs for the beginner

In article ,
Frogleg wrote:
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:52:20 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Mint, it should be said, will probably take over half of N Cheshire
and be checked only by meeting plants coming from the south. ;-)

Indeed. Another perennial with a terrific 'spreading' habit. It took
me forever to start one plant, but once I did, it spread everywhere
and invited its cousins in. Mint and lemon balm now fight it out in my
back lawn. Very fragrant to walk over, however.

Not here. Mint is a waterside plant, and does not do well in light
soils in a low rainfall area. I can grow it, and it spreads profusely
in the shadier areas, but it doesn't really like the location.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.