Old 21-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Dwayne

Default Juniperus with yellowing foliage : help !

John, I work part time for a friend who owns 3 junipers that were about 6 ft
tall. The first one was yellow when I started working for him, and with a
little pushing around was able to pull it out of the ground. I get a
College Extension Agent to come over and look at all the trees on the
property. He said that once they are brown they are dead. He showed me
some holes in one that was remaining, but turning yellow. He indicated that
some kind of borer may have been the problem. The second one has since died
and will need to be taken out next spring.

Spraying might have helped before the problem started, and he suggested
getting something that you spray or sprinkle on the ground that will
eventually come back up through the roots and into the trees. Too late now
for the yellow ones, but may help with any you have left.

Dwayne

"John Doe" wrote in message
m...
Hi there,

We have a beautiful 35 ft juniperus in our garden, probably a red
cedar, that dangerously becomes yellow. Spring has been moderately
warm but very dry, and I have noticed a lot of red spider mites one
month ago in the garden. I have not seen a big quantity around the
tree and along the trunk (two or three), so I was not worried. But
now, I am...

I am a complete newbie to gardening. I keep it moist at the moment,
and try to wash red spider mites with my hose, as high as I can. Is
this a good idea ? I plan to buy some pesticide for red mites but
wonder how I am going to reach the top ! Could a treatment at the
bottom be sufficient ?

Is the jupinerus likely to die and will dead foliage be replaced in
the future ?

I'm in New Zealnad.
Thank you for you help.