Old 21-12-2003, 03:32 PM
Shiva

Default Should I give in to the Dark Side?

Mark. Gooley wrote:

Jackson and Perkins is (are, if you're a Brit)

How do you figure that? "Jackson and Perkins" is the name
of a company, and so singular. If they were two guys,
it would be plural. While they may indeed be two guys,
in the sense you are using the term, it is singular.
Or, if not, how come? Just curious.

[snip]

My best success has been with potted J&P, though I have
never ordered their bare roots from them--just from
S&W Warehouse, which is a distributor. And, that was
last year which was a bad year for all roses in my garden.

On the flip side, J&P tends to introduce roses and then
dump them; they don't offer a very wide selection, and
there are a dozen smaller growers more worthy of getting
my business.

What would you do?

I'm not philosophical about such matters. I just try to
buy quality at a decent price. If J&P is doing better than
some of the smaller growers, that's the smaller grower's
problem, not mine.

If you go for it, let us know how these own roots do.