Old 21-12-2003, 05:03 PM
Sacha

Default Neighbour Trouble

Bill Pritchard21/12/03 12:13

We moved to this house last spring and have finally turned our attention to
the
garden. Whilst clearing weeds and debris I came across two electric cables
near
to the fence. When I asked my neighbour about them he said that they were the
power supply to his two sheds. I suggested he put them his side of the fence
but he replied that surely it wouldn't matter to me if he left them where they
were. I've now asked him several times but he just shrugs his shoulders.
Unfortunately, there's not enough slack to just throw them over. My question
(finally) is, could I cut through one of the cables (accidently of course)
with
a wooden shafted spade without electrocuting myself.
Bill Pritchard
Retired and Emotional

As a matter of curiosity why do you want him to move them? Is it a matter
of safety in your view, or do you just object to them being on your land?
What I'm trying to get at here is whether or not this is a sufficiently
important issue to you, to risk a major fall out with someone who is going
to be your neighbour for a long time, perhaps?
If it's a safety issue, tell him so and remind him, as nicely as you can,
that he will be responsible for any legal repercussions, such as you, your
child, grandchildren, cat, dog or budgie tripping over, cutting through etc.
I should also tell him that he may be liable to ground rent payable to you.
We have some electric gizmoid or other that comes onto our land from SWEB
and are paid some very unprincely annual sum, as a result.
If none of the above appeals to you, ring your local electricity board and
innocently ask them to come and look at these mysterious cables you've found
buried in your garden. I'm assuming they aren't running through any proper
trunking/deeply buried etc?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk