Old 22-12-2003, 03:12 AM
Sarah Dale

Default Herbs for the beginner

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 21:01:51 +0000, Neil wrote:
I am a gardening novice and would appreciate any thoughts / advice on
which would grow well either in or outdoors. I live in N Cheshire on a
heavy clay soil with a "modern" ie smallish garden. Reasonably
sheltered though winds can be strong at times. Space might best be
described as negotiable!

Hi Neil,

I live in extreme North East Wales - so not too far from you (where are
you?) with very similar soil.

I have positioned my herb bed to try and catch as much sun as possible. I
have successfully grown outdoors in the ground for the last two years the
following:

Mint (in pots plunged into the soil to contian the roots)
Rosemary, camomile, sage, corriander (annual), oregano, thyme, majoram,
chives.

I also have a bay tree in a large pot, and we have grown tarragon in the
ground and in pots - but subject to a check in the spring of the latest
plants (which look dead), I don't think I have ever managed to over
winter the stuff. Next year it gets its own pot, and gets bought into the
conservatory as soon as it gets wet & cold. I don't think tarragon likes
wet & cold.

HTH, Sarah