Old 22-12-2003, 04:04 PM
Gail Futoran

Default unidentified green frog

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
news
Have you been able to see the belly part? It looks to me
from the back very
much like a Fire-Belly Toad that PetsMart is always

selling. They don't
look very toad like either, and about similar in size.

Their belly region
will be creme to red in color based on what they've been

eating and/or
mating season (got me). All I pulled up was a tiny

fingernail picture, so
can't really tell, other than that is what went thru my

mind. Not sure
where Fire-Belly Toads are native (website says Asia), but

I'm sure if
PetsMart sells them down there, turn a few loose in your

warm climate and
they'd probably do fine.

The little green frogs in my yard are uniformly green and
with no patterns - the Fire Belly Toads in the photo at the
link you gave have distinct black marks on their backs.
Size, shape & "wartiness" are similar, though, so that was a
reasonable guess. I believe my green frogs are native but
can't prove it yet. Next time I see one I'll (carefully)
capture it and take it to the San Antonio Zoo! I'm a
member, the least they can do is ID a local frog for me.

Gail