Old 22-12-2003, 04:05 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Quotation marks

The message
from martin contains these words:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:43:06 -0000, "Spider"
wrote:

I couldn't agree more. By the time we read replies, we've all read

wrong!

the post
and quoting it only postpones the interesting responses. I more often give
up reading this gardening site due to post-quote bottom posting, than
I ever
do due to lack of time.

use the PAGE DOWN key to go directly to the bottom.

And if I can't immediately see the point of a top-posted reply I delete
it and go on to something more sensibly composed.

In a complex thread, repetition of some part of
the originating post may be necessary, but surely this can be incorporated
more usefully in the response.
Well done, David, for saying what I've all too often thought.
Spider

So why didn't you snip all the stuff off the bottom of the post?

Ah, this is the usual indolence of top-posters: out of sight, out of mind.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)