Old 22-12-2003, 04:42 PM
Shelly Hurd

Default [IBC] Potting American Boxwood

Hi Billy,
I don't see a bunch of replies here so I'll give you my .02.

All my larger buxus are japonica, but I always wait until any period of frost is past before I repot. That could be -and usually is- Mid-January here. A single frost has never hurt them, but prolonged periods (like daily for a week or so) would worry me.
After I reduce one (from an 8 inch deep root ball to a 3.5 to 4 inch root ball for example) I cover the top of the pot with something if I think there is going to be frost soon after I've potted. As you know, these plants are tough.
Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9