Old 22-12-2003, 06:12 PM
MLEBLANCA

Default Juniperus with yellowing foliage : help !

In article ,
(John Doe) writes:

The tree is in fact a monterey cypress. From what I could hear, there
is apparently no real evidence that mites damaged it, at least that
badly.

The drought we had during spring could therefore be the cause of the
problem. Sounds weird to me since the monterey is said to be drought
tolerant, according once again to the info I got off the web. I
imagine you guys in the US know what a real drought is !

I think what I can do now is to water it every day, which leads me to
two additional questions.

Is it sufficient to water the tree just below the end of the branches
(encouraging the tree to extend further its root network I've been
told) or is it necessary to water the whole covered area ?

Watering such a tree uses heaps of water, I thought maybe you guys
might have a piece of advice or two to make my efforts efficient.

Also, is it possible to give too much water for a tree that big ?

Monterey cypress (Cupressus macrocarpa) is susceptible to a
fungual disease when it is grown away from cool, coastal conditions:
coryneum canker fungus. Symptoms are yellowing foliage,
which turns dark reddish brown, and then slowly falls off.
There is no cure. ( from Sunset Western Garden Book)

I would not water this tree every day (adding root rot to its problems)
deep watering no more than once a week would be better.
MC is native to the rocky Calif coast, where the soil would be
very well-drained.
But better yet, I would consult an arborist very soon.

Good luck
Emilie
NorCal