Old 22-12-2003, 08:42 PM
Mary Lou

Default Botanical garden guilty in orchid case

There were no seedlings involved from the Peruvian Phrag. kovachii
(peruvianum) Entire plants were brought into the USA illegally and
taken to Selby. At least one individual took plants north and they
were siezed.
There is one nursery, maybe more now, that was given permission by
Peru to collect 5 plants and grow them on and propagate them IN PERU.
So far Peru is not allowing any exports but I imagine that will change
in the future.
The illegal Paph species that was propagated IN the USA was a
different species. Seed pods taken from plants siezed by the gov.
agents which were grown on for legal propagation in the US. Seeds
were flasked by Antec labs in New York when asked to do so by the
Botanic Garden. This was a different case NOT involving Selby.

Larry Dighera wrote in message . ..
On 22 Dec 2003 15:11:37 GMT, nospamX (TRAINMAN9)
wrote in Message-Id: :

What ever happened to the seedlings from these plants? I thought they were
being propagated and eventually used for hybrids.

My understanding is that the Peruvian government is not currently
permitting international shipment of this species. There has been
considerable discussion of this topic on the Orchid Guide mailing
list.

You can search the archive he
http://www.potto-webdesign.com/mailman/public/orchids/

Subscribe he