Old 22-12-2003, 10:12 PM
Lynda LeCompte

Default Plant ID Extravaganza!! - Followup

Okay... first off, another big thank you to everyone who responded. It was
interesting to see the verifications and debate about some of the species.

The ones that I am still not sure about are as follows (and I've thrown a
few more in as well...);
http://purplelinny.com/plantid/pics/more0005.jpg
This is a close up of that 'dead at the bottom' shrub that borders my rear
patio and is in need of pruning. I had an id as a cherry laurel, but there
are no berries on this shrub. We established it's not a mtn. laurel. I
think Yaupon Holly got mentioned somewhere, where only the females get
berries. Is this male yaupon?

This is a new one;
http://purplelinny.com/plantid/pics/more0002.jpg
The penny is there cus I've always wanted to do that ;-)

One that didn't get id'd in the last round;
http://purplelinny.com/plantid/pics/more0001.jpg

Another new one;
http://purplelinny.com/plantid/pics/more0003.jpg

Another from the last round that I don't think was id'd correctly.
We had offerings of Mexican Petunia, but the leaves are the wrong shape.
The other suggestion was Salvia. I'm thinking there would be a strong aroma
if it was salvia? There is no obvious aroma from the leaves, but with my
ignorance that doesn't mean anything!!
http://purplelinny.com/plantid/pics/more0004.jpg

And this one has me confused;
http://purplelinny.com/plantid/pics/plants10.jpg
We had ids as Liriope, Porcelain Berry and Mondo grass. Looking at my books
and pics on the web, I don't believe it is any of these - feel free to
correct me...

Based on your identifications and for the more elusive ones, comparisons to
other pictures, I believe the following are certainties (using filenames as
Id);
From this webpage; http://purplelinny.com/plantid/
#3 - Elephant ears
To answer madgardener's question; the biggest leaves are about two foot in
length. There is lots of new growth at the base and I gather from a
neighbour that it's a bit of a pest in these parts.
#4 & #11 - Nandina domesticus (Heavenly bamboo)
#6 & #7 - Juniper
#8 - Sword fern
#9 - Rhododendron - this got interesting when I realised that laurel,
azalea and rhododendron are all part of the same family... still learning!
#11 - Azalea... I guess I need to distinguish the differences...
#14 - Shrimp plant
#15 - Japanese Holly Fern
#16 - Liriope
#17 - Argeratum "Gregg's Blue Mist" (Thanks Victoria :-)
#18 - Maidenhair Fern
#19 - Fatsia Japonica
#20 - Rose - we all knew that, but not sure of variety - certainly not a
typical English type rose...
#21 - Poinsettia - wow - I thought it looked familiar, but it isn't doing
the whole red leaf thing so wasn't obvious to me.
#22 - Vinca major
#23 - Asparagus fern
#24 - Bronze ajuga
#26 & #30 - Cyperus
#28 - Euonymus (burning bush)
#29 - Common violet
#30 - Rubus - ouch :-/
#33 - Hardy ginger
#34 - Indian Hawthorn - I have masses of this
#35 - Aucuba Japonica a.k.a. Japanese Laurel
#36 - Russelia Equisetiformis a.k.a. firecracker plant - thank you Cereoid-
UR12-:-) I particularly like this pretty little thing. Think I will
propagate this one...

Phew - I think that will do for now.
Hope this isn't too much of a headache! It's probably been entertaining for
my neighbours... seeing me dash outside every now and again, fondle my
plants, maybe take a picture then run back inside again. lol!
--
Lynda