Old 23-12-2003, 12:04 AM
shazzbat

Default Neighbour Trouble

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
The message
from (Bill Pritchard) contains these words:

We moved to this house last spring and have finally turned our
attention to the
garden. Whilst clearing weeds and debris I came across two electric
cables near
to the fence. When I asked my neighbour about them he said that they
were the
power supply to his two sheds. I suggested he put them his side of the

fence
but he replied that surely it wouldn't matter to me if he left them
where they
were. I've now asked him several times but he just shrugs his

shoulders.
Unfortunately, there's not enough slack to just throw them over. My

question
(finally) is, could I cut through one of the cables (accidently of
course) with
a wooden shafted spade without electrocuting myself.

Wearing sound rubber boots you could cut them with an uninsulated tool,
though I wouldn't advocate it. One of my fiends used to do just that
with small jobs: once, in my shed, we were putting power points in and
we needed the light, and we didn't have the keys to the Church Hall so
we could borrow a Tilley.

We left the power on and were working in the (electric) light while he
was snipping live wires happily with a pair of bare-handled side-cutters
- until the blades touched live and earth.......

*BANG!*

-*BIG BLOO FLASH!*-

lots of darkness

Me: "You all right, Ken?"

Ken: "Yes."

Power restored we found theside-cutters hanging above the bench, welded
to the earth wire.

Seriously, why don't you charge him wayleave? He'd pretty soon remove it
the wires, or provide you with some beer-money.

I wonder if Bill Pritchard has found acceptable advice by now. It would

be
nice if he would take some time off to let us know if there is any

progress
on the cable front.

Franz

Or which ferry route he prefers?