Old 23-12-2003, 12:33 AM
Bob Hobden

Default Neighbour Trouble Part Two

"Sacha" wrote in message after Bill
In answer to questions the cables are on the ground between 6ins to a

foot
from
the fence. They seem to start from his house, go under his side path,

under
the
fence then run up the garden to his various sheds and pigeon lofts.

((SNIP))

My guess - and it's only a guess - is that they will say they're unsafe

and
make him move them, trunk them, bury them etc. Clearly, anyone with a

sharp
spade, axe, trowel or hoe could electrocute themselves in your garden. It
seems pretty clear he wanted them your garden because he knew that old

lady
wasn't going to do any heavy, sharp tooled gardening work. In other

words,
his family was safe while she wasn't.

AND his garden looked tidier and he didn't have to go to the bother of
expensive underground work and all the disruption that causes. Sounds a
right selfish b...... to do that to a 92 year old probably because she
couldn't/wouldn't do anything about it. Another reason to stick your heals
in and get it sorted, to show you arn't a pushover that he can ride
roughshod over all the time.

I think you need to make that clear to your neighbour and tell him that on
those grounds alone, you need him to take the cables onto his land and

make
them HIS risk, not yours. If he's a difficult person, I don't know how

any
of this can be done nicely but I think you also have to make it very clear
to him that if he does not do this you will a) sue him if anything

happens
to you, your family or your property and b) failing suitable and immediate
action on his part, will contact the Electricity Board who will not only
disconnect that supply on the grounds of safety but will insist on more
expensive cabling which they will, undoubtedly, inspect rigorously.

You have already asked politely a number of times so, yes, tell the
Electricity Board or whoever it is these days, there must be a number in
your local phone directory for them, you could even dial "emergency" on this
one I would have thought. I'm sure they will condemn the cabling and remove
it at his expense or demand he does immediately, and as Sacha says, they
will probably keep an eye on him in future which will be a pain for him.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
351 data units completed.