Old 23-12-2003, 06:33 AM
Alan Gould

Default Rhubarb, rhubarb?

In article , Serendipity
writes
I bought a couple of rhubarb crowns during the autumn and
planted them. They 'took' immediately and sprouted three leaves
apiece. They still appear to be growing happily.

Am I right in assuming that I'll be taking nothing from them
next year?

What protection should I give them this winter? I live in
Plymouth (bit like the South of France really)
-
------

Rhubarb needs no protection in UK gardens unless it is being forced for
early production. If your crowns are growing strongly, you may be able
to take a small number of stems in 2004, but normally cropping should
wait until the plants are fully established - i.e in their second or
third growing year. A little patience at that stage will be well
rewarded with many years' production. Remove any seed heads which may
form or they will divert the plant's energy away from stem production.
Rhubarb responds well to plenty of moisture and nutrients, but it is
better not to overdo those in their first formative year.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.