Old 23-12-2003, 01:14 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Rhubarb, rhubarb?

The message
from Serendipity contains these words:

I bought a couple of rhubarb crowns during the autumn and
planted them. They 'took' immediately and sprouted three leaves
apiece. They still appear to be growing happily.

Am I right in assuming that I'll be taking nothing from them
next year?

Quite correct. Assuming you mean to establish it rather than replace it
yearly.

My advice is not to pull even one stick. That was the advice I adhered
to when I planted a jungle of it, and one of my friends was a bit
unchuffed when I wouldn't let him have even one stick from each.

The next year he was over the moon at the abundance of it - we had
rhubarb coming out of our ears. Metaphorically. One stick weighed just
under a pound.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)