Old 23-12-2003, 07:12 PM
Brian Berggoetz

Default [IBC] Collecting Oaks

After a collecting hike yesterday I found an area at the top of a ridge
with a number of native oaks. They are all about 2-4 feet high with 2-4
inch trunks that have had their tops broken at some point. It is an
area dominated by oaks about 10-15 feet tall. I have always heard oaks
are notorious for long tap roots and being uncollectable. The small
trees are also within suckering distance, 20-30 feet from a large tree.
Is there any use in trying to collect any of these oaks or is there
something to look for in a collectable specimen?
Brian in Tucson Zone 12

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++