Old 23-12-2003, 08:02 PM
Shell

Default Mosquitos

We have both cold weather and hot weather species and many kinds of each.
They're attracted by CO2, dark colors, people who are allergic to them give
off a scent that attracts them I think, along with the neon sign above the
head flashing FREE FOOD. From my experience citronella candles do work and
one of the best things I have found is an electric fan. Around here they
carry West Nile and Louisiana Encephilitis.

And the smell of Off brings back many childhood memories

Shell
(who puffs up like a toad when bitten)
"Peter H.M. Brooks" wrote in message
om...
Mosquitos seem a bit of a menace here, I'm used to them in Cape Town,
but the ones here seem to leave nasty and painful bites - maybe I am
being attacked by sand flies, I wouldn't know how to tell the
difference. Anyway, I have recently read that citronella has no effect
on mosquitos ( http://www.bushman-repellent.com/med.htm ) this is a
pity as I'd a half-formed plan to plant citronella bushes (or trees,
or whatever it comes from) around the property to keep dogs, cats and
mosquitos away. DEET seems the only chemical answer and that isn't
very nice to spray around if you get hay-fever.

I found another mosquito trap at (
http://www.acencorp.com/English/prod...product_id=337 )
but you have to order in quantities of 300 which, though a sure way of
making sure that absolutely no mosquitos bother you might be a trifle
expensive.

I've also read of a thing called a 'Mosquito Magnet', but I haven't
found a source and it seems that it is expensive.

I also haven't found a local source for the 'Mosquito Eater' (
http://www.mosquitoeater.com/how_it_works.html ), and would also like
to know if anybody has had satisfaction from this as it looks a bit
cheaper.

So, reminded of a Dutch study that showed that smelly feet attracted
mosquitos and gorgonzola was a good substitute, I wondered if a
mosquito trap would be a good idea instead. I found such a trap (
http://www.megacatch.com/ ), but it is a terrible price! So I wondered
if anybody had found or made a cheaper model.

As I see it, all you need is a slow release of CO2, a source of heat
at about 37C, maybe some gorgonzola and then a high tension grid (as
you find in the blue-light fly zappers) and you'll have them queuing
up to be executed. I don't mention sound since it seems that sonic
traps don't work at all.

Any suggestions for other sources, instructions on how to build one,
or directions to a builder of this sort of thing in Auckland?

If anybody has tried all of the above and found that none of them work
I'd also be interested to hear - it might save a fortune!