Old 24-12-2003, 12:12 AM
David J Bockman

Default Mosquitos

There once was a lass named Estrella,
One summer's night went with a fella,
"Stick close tonight, for the mosquitoes they bite,
and you smell just like citronella!"

Dave

"Peter H.M. Brooks" wrote in message
om...
"Shell" wrote in message

y.com...

Anyway, I have recently read that citronella has no effect
on mosquitos ( http://www.bushman-repellent.com/med.htm ) this is a
pity as I'd a half-formed plan to plant citronella bushes (or trees,
or whatever it comes from) around the property to keep dogs, cats and
mosquitos away. DEET seems the only chemical answer and that isn't
very nice to spray around if you get hay-fever.

We have both cold weather and hot weather species and many kinds of

each.
They're attracted by CO2, dark colors, people who are allergic to them

give
off a scent that attracts them I think, along with the neon sign above

the
head flashing FREE FOOD. From my experience citronella candles do work

and
one of the best things I have found is an electric fan. Around here

they
carry West Nile and Louisiana Encephilitis.

The research seems pretty convincing regarding the inefficacy of
citronella. Maybe there is some placebo effect at work here or maybe
New Zealand species of mosquito react differently from those examined
in the study.

More research seems to be indicated.