Old 24-12-2003, 02:12 AM
Ray

Default Orchids on shells

Trying to rely on a substrate for nutrition is not advisable, as the
minerals are usually quite insoluble, therefore of no value to the plant.

If you like the looks, go for it, but still feed appropriately.

"Dustin" wrote in message
Hello, I was wondering if you could mount orchids on sea shells. I
have seen some amazing cattleyas grown on big shells so I assume its
pretty safe. I have access to an unlimited number of giant clams
shells (Tridacna sp) from a clam farm. I have read that some orchids
benefit from some calcium supplimentation from time to time, perhaps
growing them on a calcium carbonte based material may help.

Thanks