Old 24-12-2003, 04:32 AM
Charles Quinn

Default Saving Tomato seed

In article , kenny wrote:
I have the book Seed to Seed by Suzanne Ashworth and am going to start
saving seed from my garden this year. I am ordering only heirloom
open pollinated seed to start with.
I am unsure about the tomatoes if I can grow several types and not
have them cross. The book says tomatoes are inbreeding plants and
that seed savers should have no problem with cross pollination if you
grow one currant tomato or one potato leaved variety if the styles
are covered by the anther tubes.
I want to plant Brandy wine and Black from Tula and Amish Paste all in
the same 40' x 100' area. I will probably put one type on each end
and one in the middle but just want to make sure since I am going to
be saving these seed for years to come.
Thank you
Kenneth
From Lufkin TX

If you have a dominant prevailing wind, make sure to plant them so the
downwind types are not pollinated by a different upwind type.

--

Charles
The significant problems we face cannot be solved